A howling Halloween

A Howling Halloween

It started out as the usual day at the office and ended the same, only with a scratchy throat. I will admit, I was jealous of all the people I saw (particularly at the Dermatologists office) wearing costumes. It reminded me of the good old days at Prairie Eye Center and all the costumes and craziness. Those certainly were the days…
I saw a few really great things that made me smile yesterday. There was an older couple in our office building (I’d estimate them to be in their 70’s) wearing matching pumpkin tee-shirts. Seriously. How cute is that?
Since Carlos was out, the office closed at 5pm yesterday, and I hurried home to get ready for the trick-or-treaters. Of course, I had to get Cappy in costume. We started with the Pirate costume, but it was just too big for the skinny little guy – plus, the pirate cap wouldn’t stay on. So, we moved on to the Winnie the Pooh costume, which was a little too small. In addition, he kept trying to rip the Pooh head off. Sigh… At least it made my decision easy – FrankenCappy it is!
We had ordered a pizza for delivery and decided to sit in some lawn chairs in the driveway with some tasty beverages while waiting. Once it was delivered, we went inside to eat, anxiously awaiting the children. (I kind of figured it was the perfect opportunity to possibly meet some neighbors.) Just as I was finishing, the doorbell rang. Out of the three kids at the door (all young-ish, maybe 10 at the oldest), not a single one was wearing a costume. They weren’t wearing anything that could even be remotely considered a costume. Really? I really wanted to tell them they didn’t get any candy, but I’m not that cold-hearted.
After that, we decided that we’d be trashy and sit in the driveway with our bucket full of candy with Cappy. I will admit, it was quite fun. The driveway is actually very enjoyable – it’s peaceful, but there’s that people-watching aspect, too. I think we’ll be sitting out there more often!
The first kid in a costume was dressed as Super Mario, and he was too cute. He had these pretty little curls and did he ever look perfect! J He was our first, and last (no offense Mel) favorite costume. The next kids were dressed up as Mickey and Minnie – and Mickey even came complete with the gloves. Mickey Mouse earned himself two handfuls of candy from the Coffman’s. (As did his sister, Minnie Mouse.) We may have been a bit obsessed with the costume, because we definitely asked where it came from. If only I had an excuse to go buy one…
Next came Princess Emily, dressed as a lady bug. She was more excited about the decorative stones in our landscaping (and Gog, of course) than the candy. Once the big group of teenagers (obnoxious teenagers, might I add) started down the street, Emily moved on. The big group of teens came over and Chad (as usual) had candy duty, since I was holding on to Cappy. They were wearing the most pitiful costumes – “This is my ugly costume.” Wowza. One kid toward the end of the group didn’t have a costume on and didn’t even have a candy bag. He seriously walked up to Chad and stuck his hand out. This is when I absolutely LOVE my husband. J The conversation is as follows:
Chad: “You’re not wearing a costume.”
Kid: “He (pointing to another kid) took my prop.”
Chad: “You’re wearing what you wore to school today.”
Kid: “No I’m not.”
Chad: “You don’t even have a candy bag. Why should I give you candy?”
Kid: “I gave the candy bag to him.” (points at another kid.)
Chad: “Seriously! Whatever…”
Chad gave the obnoxious young man, I kid you not, ONE sixlet. Then he told the kid to get off of our property. I never know what is going to come out of Chad’s mouth – just one of his endearing traits. J
The last kid to stop by was in the group of obnoxious teenagers…and he was dressed as a Zombie. Apparently, that’s the thing this year. Cappy didn’t care much for the Zombie and thought he needed to go after him. I jumped out of the chair and ran after him, barefooted. Ugh. Thankfully, he didn’t get far – just in the Scott’s yard, which is next door. Chad and I were both afraid of Cappy attacking the kid and ending up in the Doggy Penitentiary. Thank God.
We stayed outside for a little while longer, but nobody came – we headed inside to a VERY unhappy and loud William around 8’o’clock. Once we got in the house, Chad started receiving phone calls from Plant Security. Ugh. Thankfully, there were no emergencies. I read for a few minutes before heading to bed. Once I turned the lights off our loud-mouth, William, was immediately on the bed and being Mommy’s cuddly little boy. Life is good…

Comments

Popular Posts