Utah Adventures

Our trip to Utah started a little bit early, since we spent the night at the Airport Hotel the night before our trip.  I will do my best to keep the happenings in chronological order... 

Friday
Friday morning was spent packing and cuddling with my boys, and hoping that Chad would have to stay here in Texas due to the injury at his jobsite.  Obviously, I didn't get so lucky.  Around 1:30 we dropped Cappy off at the kennel (or as we called it, "camp") and  headed up to Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) around 3:30.  I had a pounding headache from crying and did my best to calm down.  We ate dinner at the hotel and had some drinks in the hotel bar.  Had a few interesting things happen this evening -
1.) Saw an older lady (over 60) wearing white/cream colored pants who was also sporting a black thong. LMAO
2.) Sat next to an interesting "couple" at the bar.  Both were married (not to each other, of course), and the woman was trashed.  She even yelled it out in the bar!  Chad asked the bartender how it was going for them, and he said it didn't seem like they were going to hook up.  Of course, we placed our bets and lost - they didn't hook up.  Oh, and the man was wearing khaki colored jeans. :-)
3.) The toilet in the hotel was very oddly placed.  At one point Chad looked up and commented that he'd never watched himself pee before.  It was quite funny.
Sleep didn't come so easily to me on Friday, as I was anxious about the flight and trip.

Saturday
We woke up at 3:30 and headed to the airport for our flight, I was very anxious and upset - especially when I saw our seat assignments for the first flight...the ass-end of the plane.  Chad let me have his aisle seat so that I didn't have to sit in the middle seat, but the flight was miserable.  I was crying and very uncomfortable.  I was so uncomfortable, in fact, that my feet hurt.  It was definitely the worst flight ever.  After a 2 1/2 hour flight, we had a 1/2 hour layover in Phoenix, followed by an hour-long flight to Salt Lake City.  This flight was much better, as we were in the 7th row.  Phew!  Much more comfortable, to say the least.  We got our shuttle and headed to the resort - The Hyatt Escala Lodge in the Canyons Resort area.  The hotel was absolutely beautiful and I can honestly say that I was impressed by the scenery.  We had a quick lunch at the hotel restaurant and took naps before heading to the company dinner.   The dinner was nice and afterwards a small group of guys (Chad & Tim) went to some bars on Main Street while I went to bed.  Chad's outing didn't last too long, as he barely made it back to the room in time to puke his guts out.  He continued to do so for the next hour and a half.  Ugh.  Chad has a tendency to get sick when he's overly exhausted, almost like his body's way of telling him to slow down.  By the next morning, he was fine.

Sunday
Since we had so much money on room credit to spend ($1300) and not many places to use it, we ordered room service and scheduled ourselves massages at the spa.  After breakfast, we walked down to the shops and made a few purchases before heading back up to the hotel for lunch.  I am now officially obsessed with Buffalo...the hotel had a phenomenal Buffalo chili that I ate every day.  Mmmm!!!  Around 2:30 we headed down to The Waldorf-Astoria for our couples massage.   Both of us were nervous, since this was our first massage but it was absolutely amazing.  It was the best thing I've ever done and we're both looking forward to getting massages done again.  While I was waiting for Chad to get ready, I sat in the lobby next to Penn and had an enjoyable time.  After we got back to the hotel, we headed down for dinner and sat with some of our group - Bobby & Rhonda got to snowmobile with Ryan Secrest, Julianne Hough & Derek Hough.  We did feel bad, though, because one of the wives ended up with a torn ACL from skiing...man!  This was at least the third injury requiring a hospital visit during the trip.  We finished dinner and headed up to bed early. 

Monday
We went down for the buffet breakfast and got a vehicle so that we could do some sight-seeing and shopping.  We drove to the Main Street area and then headed to the Outlet Mall.  We both had $375 gift cards to use and the first place we stopped was the Coach store.  I got a new purse and a wallet, and still had over $200 left on my card! :-)  We spent almost all of our money at the outlet mall, and still had room credit.  We went to Olympic Park which was pretty cool and then went to the shops when we got back to the resort.  We made a few more purchases and ate lunch at a restaurant called The Farm.  I had their Buffalo Chili, but it wasn't nearly as good as the chili at the hotel. Practically everybody that we had talked to was dreading the dinner and sleigh ride.  We met in the lobby and headed to the ranch.  We had some appetizers and headed out for our sleigh ride.  As cheesy as it was, it was also a lot of fun.  The sleigh was actually a wagon pulled by two Clydesdales.  It was chilly, but a lot of fun.  I'm thankful that we had a great group of people with us, because we laughed the entire time.  When we got back to the ranch, we were treated to a barbeque dinner before heading back to the resort.  We tried to get a seat at the bar, but they were full so we just headed back up to our room and headed to bed.

Tuesday
First things first - we had to pack up our purchases.  Ugh.  We're lucky we got everything put in our bags.  We had breakfast and then headed back to the airport.  We had a little bit of drama while waiting for our cars - apparently the hotel lost one of our vehicles.  We're thinking that they gave it to somebody who wasn't part of our group, because they tried giving us a car that was obviously not one of ours.  Because of the timing, Bobby & Rhonda ended up having to take a taxi to the airport, which cost them $125! Yikes!  Hopefully the company gets everything figured out with the hotel and rental cars.  For about five minutes, I didn't think that I would be allowed to leave Salt Lake City - I currently have a temporary drivers license and they weren't going to accept it because they claimed it could be printed off of my computer.  Ugh.  They finally let me go through, and then security asked me to take off my sweatshirt...seeing as I had nothing on under it, I declined which meant that I got to go through the body scanner.  Sigh...Once we got through I got a bottle of water and waited to board the plane.  I was so excited about going home.  We were in the middle of the plane this time, but had no leg room.  The plane did have a tv screen and DirectTV available for purchase.  That was the best $8 that I'd ever spent - I got to watch some of my favorite shows and it definitely made the trip much more tolerable.  After we arrived in Houston, we got our oversized luggage (which cost us $185 to check) and picked up the truck.  Since we were both starving we stopped at McDonald's before heading home.  We arrived home to a very happy kitty cat and were missing our Fraggle.

This morning I went to pick up Cappy and it was a great reunion.  I missed him so much.  He did well at "camp" and even got groomed while he was there.  Unfortunately, they did a chop job on his eyebrows...I think he looks kind of dumb.  Today will be full of laundry and preparations for our road trip to Illinois tomorrow afternoon.  :-)

Comments

Popular Posts