Welcome 2012!

On New Year's Eve, we packed up the truck and said goodbye to Illinois.  It was difficult to leave Illinois but I was ready to get back to the beautiful Texas weather.  :-)  We hadn't even made it to I-55 when Cappy started acting like a heathen, so he ended up sleeping in my lap the rest of the day.  Thankfully, he was perfectly content cuddling with me, although I know he was excited to be out of the car when we stopped in Little Rock.  After checking into the hotel, Chad found out that a lot of the locals had rooms for the evening and the manager was kind enough to take off of the pet fee to make up for any issues that we may have.  We both went to bed pretty early but woke up around midnight to say, "Happy New Year!" and kiss.  (Yes, this is when you know that you're old!)
We got on the road early the next morning and I fell asleep for about an hour or so - next thing I knew, Chad was waking me up to tell me he was stopping at a gas station.  About ten minutes after leaving the gas station we crossed into Texas.  :-)  Hooray!!!!  We actually made really good time, probably because everybody was at home recovering from the previous evening's celebrations.  We made it home before 3pm, which was great.  When arriving home, we found that the Valero in the front of our neighborhood on Highway 6 had opened and Chad was excited to check it out.  I did some unpacking, reading of mail, and some general housekeeping before we ate dinner and went to bed.  (Told you that we're old!)
Chad's alarm went off far too early the next morning, though I was able to sleep until 9:30.  Monday was spent doing mundane tasks - laundry and grocery shopping, since I had orientation at the hospital the next day.
I was hoping to "hide" during orientation, but that didn't happen - we had to play "bingo" and do some group activities.  It was somewhat boring for me, since I had already sat through volunteer orientation, but I tried to make the best of it.  They were nice enough to provide us with lunch and some "Methodist gear" (a pen, calendar and bookbag), before letting us out early.  :-)  Whew! 
Wednesday was my first day at "work" and I spent the day in the Conference Room - reading four manuals and even taking notes.  Glenna taught me some of the computer programs and let me choose what time I wanted to come in the rest of the week before letting me leave around 3pm.  On Thursday, I worked 7am-4pm which, in my opinion is the ideal shift.  I worked the front desk (more observing than working) and learned how to prep charts, but I spent most of the time verifiying insurance benefits.  I felt like I was in the way, as I didn't know how to do things yet.  On Friday, I worked 7-4 again and spent all day in the Conference Room doing various tasks.  I did find out that they are wanting me to stay at the Timmons location, which works fabulously for me - it's about 20 minutes away from the house! :-)  I had to run to the hospital to get my TB test read, and found that I had received two parking violations because of where I had been parking.  I was just hoping that my car didn't get towed.  I am borrowing somebody's parking tag until mine comes in, so I can avoid the parking violations.  Apparently, many people pack up and leave early on Friday's and I was lucky enough to get out of there around 3:15!  Unfortunately, I hit some bad traffic on the way home, but all is good.
We have uniforms at work - khaki's and hospital-issued polo shirts and sports polo-shirts on Friday's. Since I've not received mine yet, I get to wear normal dress clothes.  Hooray!!!  I'm sure mine will be here before I know it, though.  Unfortunately, they still don't have a schedule for me this week - so I'm going in at 7am tomorrow and am unsure about the rest of the week.  I can tell you that I'm really hoping for more 7am shifts! :-)
In preparation for the upcoming outage, Chad has been working longer hours.  He worked until 3pm yesterday and until noon today - guess I need to get used to this schedule because I have at least a month of it.  I spent this weekend cuddling with my boys, and being thankful that I have a job - it's no fun sitting around the house alone!  We had hoped to get the Christmas tree and decorations taken down today, but that didn't happen - looks like I have to hold off decorating for Valentine's Day until next weekend.  I feel better about this work thing now that I'm getting back in the groove of things, though I miss spending time with the boys.  (And, there was an absolutely beautiful day this past week - all I wanted to do was be outside enjoying the weather!)
I forgot just how quickly the weekend flies by when you're working - seems like I didn't have much time to relax, everything I did was in preparation for the week ahead.  That's okay though, I'm also remembering that I get PAID!!!!!
I'm interested to see what this week brings.  I'm hoping to learn more and start feeling like I not in the way.  I know it takes time, though...

Comments

Popular Posts