Bittersweet Symphony

Yesterday was my last day as a volunteer at The Methodist Hospital and it was a very bittersweet day for me.  I have truly enjoyed every moment that I spent there, although some more than others.  I've had the opportunity to bring smiles to the faces of many patients and made a lot of new friends - and even some "family."
Monday was an interesting day, as one of my first patients had been re-admitted to one of my floors.  I walked into her room and she knew exactly who I was - it brought tears to her eyes.  She told me that I was her guardian angel and that after she left the hospital she told everybody about me - how I made her stay tolerable and that I made her feel special.  I, too, had tears in my eyes.  Words cannot describe how I felt talking to her again.  It was great to see her, though I wish she hadn't been readmitted.  Around noon, we went caroling throughout the Main building and there were some pretty special moments there as well.  We had one patient get out of bed and sing with us...she had a beautiful voice and was just beaming.  There were a few kids visiting patients who were very excited seeing Santa - one little girl even told her mom that "Santa's Chocolate!"  (Robert was Santa this year - and he did a phenomenal job.)  We had a patient request that we (all five of us) sing a song just for them.  Unfortunately, I think our guitarist only knew three songs - Jingle Bells, Feliz Navidad and White Christmas...if I hear Feliz Navidad one more time I may pull out all of my hair. :-)  (I think it's the only Christmas song that I don't know the words to!)  After caroling I helped Anne with the Wassail Wagon, which wasn't really enjoyable - there's a reason I've never been a server!  Apparently, in Texas, they pronounce it "Wass-ell"  I about got my head bit off for calling it Wassail.  Oh joy!
I went back on Tuesday for the "Wassell wagon" and got home early, we couldn't give the wassail away.  Tuesday was also my first experience visiting the Psych ward at TMH - it's much different than the psych units back home, that's for sure!  Yesterday, I had to go to HR to get my health assessment and fill out paperwork for my PAYING job, so I was running late for volunteering.  Thankfully, Karen saved me her patients - which are all of my favorite floors (minus Oncology). 
The health assessment was stressful.  I will get my second TB test on my start date of 1/3 and they already had proof of my flu shot since it was required by the hospital for all employees and volunteers.  The most stressful part was that silly urine drug test.  I know that I shouldn't stress out, but I did; though it may be more accurate if I said that my bladder stressed out over it. 
I have always had difficulty peeing on demand - I remember sitting many times that I've been unable to "produce."  Well, I got some out, but it was only half the amount that they needed...which meant that I got to sit in the corner until I could produce enough.  UGH!  I drank two bottles of water and was to the point that I felt like I was going to hurl because there was so much liquid in my body.  I tried again...nothing.  Not even a drop!  It took me an hour and a half to produce the pee that was needed.  Talk about embarrassing.  On my third try, the nurse ran water for me even though it was barely audible through the bathroom door.  Third time's a charm, eh?!
After all of that drama, I got my labs run and filled out all of the required paperwork at HR.  My orientation is on Tuesday, January 3rd at the main campus - I have to park in some lot in the middle of nowhere and take the Metro light rail to get to the hospital...ick.  I may just park in a paid tower and get over it - I don't do public transportation!   When I got down to Guest Relations, Karen had a card waiting for me - along with a 60 minute massage, compliments of my Guest Relations "family."  That was cry number two for me...I think I cried three or four times yesterday.  After I saw her patients I headed back to Volunteer Services to get ready for the "wassell wagon" and I waited over an hour - Anne had disappeared.  It got a little aggravating, especially considering the fact that we never start on time.  (Many of you know that I'm kind of anal about time management.)  I consulted on some volunteer interviews and training while I waited...and then I left.  I felt guilty about it, but the people in charge told me I could, as I shouldn't have to sit around all day long waiting on other people to get their act together.
This is kind of out of order, but on Tuesday we got three packages delivered at three different times.  I'm glad I was home for the first one, which was Chad's bonus check...I would have been upset had that been sitting on our front porch all day long!  My new/refurbished cell phone arrived, so I'm no longer worried about shards of plastic cutting my face open.  And, the last package was from a place called Sheri's Berries...I opened the package and the smell was simply amazing - one of Chad's co-workers sent us a box of chocolate covered strawberries for Christmas.  They were delicious! (Note that I said WERE...they were gone in less than 24 hours!)
This morning I had to go to the Dermatologist to get the spots on my scalp looked at.  I was quite nervous, as I've not had the best experience with Dermatologists.  The first one I was sent to back home was awful, I left her office in tears more than once.  I finally saw a different one a few years ago, and I loved her - she was very active in the APL, which made me much more comfortable.  Dr. Ingraham was a mixture of the two - she was very nice and helpful, but she wasn't warm like my last one was.  She took a look at my scalp and gave me some cream for night - I'm supposed to apply Vaseline to it numerous times a day.  She even gave me some cream for my face breakouts, which I wasn't expecting.  She said if I didn't like what I was looking at in the mirror I would stress out and make everything worse.  I go back in two months for a "pick check."  In the meantime, I'm suppose to find a hobby that uses my hands.  Sheesh.  This will be interesting...
As you probably know, I've been dreading the trip to Utah since I found out about it.  I'm still not overly excited by it, but I'm trying to tell myself it won't be that bad.  Unfortunately, there was an accident at Chad's job site which may prevent us from going on the trip.  I'm bummed, but I'm not - I'll be glad if we don't go because I won't have to board Cappy.  That (along with the thought of flying) is probably the hardest thing for me handle.
We have packed up all of the Christmas gifts in a storage tote for the trip home - I cannot believe that we will be home in just over a week.  I am so ready to see my family and friends, though I'm definitely going to miss the beautiful 80 degree temperatures here in Southern Texas. 
I'm keeping busy today with laundry and packing, but I'm going to try to do my 2011 year in review blog sometime today...Check back for more!

Comments

Popular Posts