Ain't No Road Too Long - Part Deux

Day 1 - Saturday - Springfield to Little Rock

Saying goodbye is my least favorite thing to do, been when it's just a simple "See ya later."  Leaving Illinois is no exception.  I was bawling when I got up that morning.  Although I was ready to come back home to Texas, I hate that we are so far away from our family and friends.  Chad, not so jokingly, told Daddy the hardest part was going to be prying me away from Elijah.  
Yes, it's stupid,  Elijah's a dog.  But he's not just any dog.  He's MY dog.  My good old black lab.  I love him more than you can imagine.  It's particularly difficult since he's 13 years old. I may never see him again.  But I made a promise to him, and he to me - we will see each other again at Christmas.  And, let me tell you something, my Elijah NEVER breaks a promise!
Moving on (since I have tears rolling down my face)...
We were a little concerned since Charleigh had a very small poopy the previous day, but we lucked out on that.  (Oh, and Charleigh puked before we left the house.  Thank God.). Chad decided to take the scenic route this time and it actually shaved an hour off of our time. Hooray!  
This time we decided to stay at Residence Inn Downtown Little Rock. Chad and I stayed here on our last trip and really liked the place.  It didn't feel like a RI at all, more like a resort, so we decided to give it another shot.  The room itself was nice, albeit much smaller than our room last time. Unfortunately we had some noisy neighbors - people hollering & laughing and dogs howling. Ugh!  
Charleigh finally pooped right before we ate dinner, which relieved both of us.  Much like last time, she was fussy for a good potion of the evening but slept well once she finally fell asleep.  
For the most part, all three humans slept well and were refreshed by morning.  Animals, on the other hand - we won't even go there. Lol.

Day 2 - Sunday - Little Rock to Houston

I woke up to a special little visitor - something I'd not seen for over a year, and let's just say I didn't welcome it with open arms.  Ugh!  I guess I shouldn't complain, but the sharp pains were intense.  Since the stupid BCP's obviously didn't do what they were supposed to do, they were immediately thrown in the garbage.  Sayonara!
Chad loaded up the car while I stood with Cappy and I got in once that task was complete.  That's when Charleigh decided to puke all over herself.  Sigh.  Chad cleaned her up and we hit the road...
We had to stop at a gas station so that I could pick up some Advil to make myself a bit more comfortable and kept on truckin'.  Things went well and we were making decent time until Chad decided to stop at DQ for a Blizzard.  Typical...
I spent a few hours in the back seat with Charleigh, feeding her and watching the first Sex & the City movie.  That definitely made the time go much quicker.  Once we hit Houston, we had to stop at Intercontinental to pick up Chad's truck before we went home.  
It was SO nice to get home.  The kitties were sitting at the door waiting for us, and Penny even joined me in the bathroom.  We unpacked the car, changed clothes and headed up to Center Court to pick up dinner. 
I will say that it felt good to be home, although I really missed family in Illinois. (And mom's cooking - especially after my bro texted me a pic of the roast beef, mashed potatoes & gravy). The Bat Cats (Penny & Jimmy) were very happy to see me and wouldn't leave my side.  More than anything, though, it was just great to have our family together again...

Comments

Popular Posts