Bird is the World

Last night gave us quite the scare.  Honestly, I hadn't felt great all day - just kind of off.  Lightheaded and just icky, which wasn't an uncommon occurrence for this pregnancy. i took naps and laid low, but around 230-ish, Chad convinced me to call the doctor.  Anya, the new nurse talked me through it and sent me to  the hospital for a 'quick NST'. Quick this appointment wasn't.  Once they got me hooked up to monitors, they found Charleigh's heart rate was ranging from 190-204, which is WAY high. Nurse was concerned about placental abruption so  She called my OB, and that's when the fun started - an IV was started and they started giving me fluids.  They took away my bottle of water and gum, as they didn't think I was going to be going home anytime soon.  The nurse told me that there was cause for concern, not only because of the SUA and IUGR but because of a marginal cord insertion.  That was news to me, but at this point nothing really surprised me.  Eventually, Charleigh stabilized and after two bags of fluids (and 5 hours) I was discharged.
Let me tell you, I'd never been so hungry in my life.  (Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but I certainly felt that way!). I ran through the drive through on my way home and practically inhaled my dinner.  Both Chad and I were stressed out so we immediately went to bed.
Of course, neither of us slept well.  I was on edge and anxious, though I was definitely feeling much better.  I was relieved knowing I had my weekly appointments the next day, but it was practically impossible to relax after all of that excitement.
First up was my high risk appointment.  I was concerned about Charleigh's heart rate, especially since there were some very loud and obnoxious people in the waiting room.  I knew that I was feeling the effects from that joyful period of time, so I was certain she was as well.  Thankfully, her heart rate was right where we wanted it - steady in the 150's.  Everything else looked perfect as well.  Dr. Carlos (first time I'd seen him) came in and took a look at her after the tech finished.  This guy was awesome.  I've been quite pleased with almost all the MFM's that I'd seen there (the male ones anyway, not overly impressed with the females), but he was one of my favorites.  He was quite the riot.  He was caught off guard by the events of the previous day, but told me that she looked absolutely perfect, just tiny.  He reassured me and told me if I had any questions or concerns to call and ask to speak with Dr. Carlos. :-). He encouraged me to drink as much Gatorade as I could tolerate and said he was in agreement with induction next week.  I do have to say, the highlight of my appointment was his reasoning behind Charleigh's size.
"Baby is small because you small.  Genetics.  You very small so you have small baby girl."  (Try to hear that being said in a Spanish accent, by a portly Hispanic man.). I laughed.
"Thanks Dr. Carlos, but I'm not small."
His reply was, "I call Brian now, tell him you good.  Let me know if you need me.  If she doesn't move in 20 minutes go to hospital.  I'd rather you go 65 times than not."
I had an hour between appointments so I called both Chad and my mom to let them know what was said before heading to my appointment with Dr Heaps.  Although I was early, they took me back and the new NP came to talk to me about the previous day.  She was really awesome.  I liked the old NP, but Anya seemed much more personable and fit in with the doctor better.
Eventually he came in and told me that he was very concerned the night before and he was waiting for the call saying he needed to section me.  He was relieved when they called about discharging me. Pretty simple plan for my appointment,  just call and schedule my induction and a cervical check.  I tried to get out of the check since the nurse did it the night before, but he was adamant about checking.  Like the previous day, I was only dilated a fingertip so he decided I'd be checking into the hospital at 5pm on Tuesday evening.  I was told to be finishing my dinner (aka: last meal) as I pulled into the parking lot, and given the game plan, which follows:
5pm:  check in
6pm: cervadil
9pm: start pitocin
*attempt to sleep*
7am: visit from Dr Heaps (estimate)
Lunchtime: have a baby
Holy crap!  This is really happening.  I drove home feeling like I was going to crap.  In less than one week we were going to have a baby.  So many thoughts and fears were running through my mind.
Are we really ready for this?!
I am excited, but scared shitless.  I'm ready to have her out and feel like a person again, but part of me wishes I could keep her inside for a few more months.  I'm just paranoid and anxious, I suppose.  Chad, on the other hand, is beyond excited.  I think he's more ready for this than I am.  Of course, his life isn't really changing like mine is...
Once again, I didn't sleep well last night.  I was anxious and couldn't get comfortable.  I have a gut feeling I'm not going to be getting much sleep for quite awhile.  I was adventurous this morning and assembled the Pack & Play on my own, if that didn't put me in labor I don't think anything would.  I even attempted to install the car seat, but that was way too confusing for me.  I've finished laundry, baked muffins and done dishes.  We have a few more things that need to be put together, but I think I'll save it all for my mom when she arrives tomorrow.

You're welcome, Mom! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts