Retrieval, Report, and Transfer

Retrieval:
Last Wednesday, the 18th, we headed to Piney Point bright and early for my retrieval with Dr Griffith.  I was nervous.  What if I'd already ovulated and they couldn't get the eggs?  What if there were complications?
Y'all know what a worrywart I am. I wore a pair of lucky socks given to me by my IG friend Ashley and the St Gerard charm Theresa sent with my mom.  Blanky was in my bag and I just rubbed the little soft silky part that was hanging on by a thread.  Chad came back from the 'bank' just in time to kiss me and send me to the OR.  So far so good.  I remember a few things and then I remember Dr Griffith waking me up.  I was so angry - they had only retrieved 10 eggs.  I thought for sure there'd be more than that.  He assured me that was a good number.  I sweet-talked them into letting me leave since I was with a RN, and we headed home.  I chowed down on olive dip (coincidentally, I discovered I'm now allergic to olives) and went to sleep.

Report:
It's past 2pm on Thursday and I'm freaking out.  I haven't heard a word about my fertilization report, so I call HFI.  A little behind the scenes magic is worked and I am told I have 9 em-babies.  :-). Since a good number survived, they scheduled me for a 5 day transfer on Monday.

Transfer:
I did my best to enjoy my weekend, but was worried about transfer.  What if none. Of my embryos survived?  I hadn't heard anything about them since Thursday.  Talk about nerve-wracking.  Mom and I arrived at Piney Point and I checked in.  Chad arrived a few minutes later and we sat in the waiting room for a bit before being called back.  I took my Valium and Ibuprofen and waited while Chad got "dressed" and took a nap.  Dr Williams arrived, and I gave him his little gift bag that was missing one key gift.  Oh well. He gave me pictures of my blasts (aka babies) that he was going to transfer. Then came the exciting part, the report...
All 9 of my embryos developed into blasts!  He said this was very unusual.  After doing research I found that usually only 20% of embryos make it to blasts.  So, I guess I kicked ass and took names.  Also, I'm thinking that possible diagnosis of poor quality eggs was incorrect. :-)
The three of us went back to the OR where we met the "babysitter" and got down to business.  It was so amazing to see the 'shooting star' when they transferred them.  Awesome is all I have to say.

Now:
So, what now?!  Now my friends, I take it easy and wait.  I return this morning for some lab work to check my hormone levels.  Waiting, as you know, isn't something I'm good at.  I will probably break down and start peeing on sticks tomorrow, because it is an addiction.
I have a good feeling about this.  I've already had some cramping, so I hope those little sweeties are burrowing in.  Come on, little minions!!! Mommy & Daddy can't wait to meet you! :-)











Comments

Popular Posts