The Climb

The week started off slow and with both of us in foul moods, just not wanting to face the public.  We did, as we suspected, survive.   I was in a surprisingly good mood on Tuesday morning, though I'm not quite certain why - perhaps it was knowing that RoboKeurig was anxiously awaiting its usage. :-) 
I made sure that Chad & I had a plan of attack in regards to our WTF appointment on Wednesday.  I needed assurance that we knew what questions we needed answered and what we thought our plan would be.
We were a bit irritated by the way Dr Williams walked in and just got to business, unlike the typical greetings we normally get, but it didn't take long for us to get over it.  There's no question in my mind that he knows his stuff, and I'm sure he has women come in who are adamant about continuing with IUI when it's very obviously not working - he's just doing his job.  I'll skip over the fluff, and get right to the point:
I have now been diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure, poor quality ovaries, and quite possibly low reserve.  Typical.  I've honestly been expecting this for months. 
You see, everything looked great.  Chad's numbers have been awesome, showing that it's possible that the SA we had done last year was just a strange "batch" if you will.  I had 2-3 mature eggs, but only have an antral follicle count of 7-9, they like 10-12.  For the most part, I responded well to the medications and the Progesterone in Oil (PIO) was definitely very effective in maintaining my Progesterone level.
So, what's the plan, you ask?
On Wednesday I started back on those horrible birth control pills, until they get my medicine approved through insurance.  I will then be on Lupron for 2-3 months, which helps with regulation and most importantly regression of Endometriosis.  (I was on Lupron for 6 months when I was 18.  It wasn't fun, to say the least.)  From there, probably late August or September, we will have another baseline US & labs and then provided everything is good we will start stims. For the week to ten days that I'm on stims, I'll be closely monitored for hyperstimulation among other things, and will then go in for an egg retrieval.  At this time, Chad will be required to make his deposit, and they will fertilize the eggs in a controlled setting.  Obviously, since this requires anesthesia, I will be on 'restriction' for two days.  They will call us the day after with a fertilization report and will decide if we're doing a 3-day transfer or 5-day transfer.  We will probably only have 2-3 eggs transferred depending on what the doctor says, but we really don't want any more than two babies.  Anything left over (that survived) will be frozen for future use.  Then the waiting begins, which will be particularly difficult since I'll be on strict bedrest the day of transfer and three days after. Sigh...

It's kind of nice not having any worries about it right now.  It's something that we can push to the back of our mind and focus on other things.  This is the first time in over a year that "baby-making" and doctors appointments aren't constantly on our mind.  :-)  It's a relief because we know what we're doing and, for the most part, where we're going.

Hopefully by the end of the week we'll have a better grasp on things.  We're hoping that things work out so that we can plan a trip back home soon, and start work on our oasis in the backyard.  AKA - the pool. :-)  Very excited about that.

The highlight of last week was meeting Taylor and Adam at Center Court for Taylor's 21st birthday.  Talk about crazy! We had a lot of fun and are so glad that we went out with them.  They're a lot like us and we look forward to having fun again. Oh...and, did I mention that Taylor met McLovin'?  He was so pissed by the end of the night, it was quite funny. 

Hopefully next weeks blog will be exciting without any stress. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts