What a week!

As I'm unsure as to whether or not I posted this yesterday, I wanted to let y'all know that I'm SO THANKFUL for cable and internet service!!! :-)  It has been a long week.  Where shall I start?!

Last Wednesday we headed to our pre-closing walk-thru only to find out that our fridge was on backorder and wouldn't be installed until Thursday (at the earliest.)  I suppose it was a good thing that the movers weren't coming until Thursday, so we still had a fridge.  Obviously, we weren't going to let this postpone closing as we had way too much to do in such a short period of time.  I had packed my trunk full of clothes so that I could get a head start on the move, so I unloaded that after closing.  For dinner, we headed to BJ's to celebrate.

Thursday was, as you can imagine, a busy day for me.  Chad had to work so I was stuck with the movers and trying to juggle the installation of our fridge at the new house.  Wouldn't ya know it, they called to give me an hour to get there just as the movers arrived.  Chad had to leave work to get over to the house for installation.  Apparently, they arrived before he did because I received a phone call from them threatening to leave since nobody was here to let them in. First off, it hadn't even been an hour yet.  Secondly, I sure as hell wasn't going to leave the movers unsupervised!  And, while we're on the subject of the movers - almost immediately after they arrived one of them went in our master bath (at the apartment) and proceeded to take a nasty shit.  Sorry guys, I'm not paying you to poop - and, isn't it common courtesy to ask if you may use the restroom at somebody's home?!  They also banged the hell out of some things, stole a nice hand towel and took an hour for lunch...and expected to be paid for a full four hours, when they only worked three.  Needless to say, they didn't get tipped.  While I got the bed ready for the evening and located towels, Chad picked up pizza from Pepperoni's for dinner.  Pepperoni's is great, it's about five minutes from the house and is actually in the neighborhood.  It's more expensive than Little Caesars, but the convenience makes up for that cost! I also took a fall down the stairs at the apartment and thought that I may have sprained or broken something.  All I could think of was that commercial, "I've fallen and I can't get up."  Thankfully, it was most likely a pulled muscle.

On Friday we spent the day moving stuff to the house, it was a long and exhausting day.  We ran to HEB for steaks which we grilled out to celebrate.  Unfortunately, the one kitchen box that we had left at the apartment was also the box that had all of our silverware.  Ugh.  And, of course, the box with the new silverware we received as a wedding gift was at the apartment as well.  So, we ate steaks with two steak knives - it was a sight to see.

We only had one trip to the apartment on Sunday, which was to get the majority of stuff out of the garage.  I had difficulty looking at all the damned moving boxes and began unpacking immediately.  On Monday, Chad returned to work and I went to the hospital for a shift.  Unfortunately, by the time I arrived back home I had zero desire to do any unpacking, so I decided to relax.  I spent all day on Tuesday unpacking and made quite a dent in the work.  There are a few moving boxes in the "nursery" and a lot in Chad's office.  Thankfully, I will not be helping him with those boxes.  :-)  Our closet is, for the most part, organized and the kitchen has been set up.  On Wednesday, the guys from Entouch came out to set up our internet.  Cappy was quite the guard dog, barking and growling at the men in the back yard burying the cables.  He also decided that he needed to be the best friend of the guy doing the service call inside the house.  Whatever happened to my shy little boy?!

Thanks to a run to Sam's Club on Sunday, we finally have food in our home.  It is so nice to enjoy home-cooked meals again.  It has also been quite enjoyable to find treasures in the moving boxes from our wedding.  The only kitchen items we are lacking are a blender and a margarita machine...we even have a juicer! The first night in the house, we were both freezing cold but after putting our new down comforter (thanks Aunt Cheryl & Uncle Jim) on the bed we've been quite cozy! :-) 

Yesterday, I got a head start on Thanksgiving preparations by getting the green beans and stuffing/dressing ready.  Late in the day, my homesickness got me.  I really wished that I could be at home with our families.  I was pretty sad as you can imagine, but there are many things that I wouldn't have in my life had it not been for Texas...
~Being a part of kicking cancer's ass~my patient liaison family~my new car~a perfect puppy dog named Cappy~an awesome new house~a new job that may provide me with great opportunity for advancement~old friends that came into my life again~amazing people~new friends~

We woke up fairly early this morning and I started working on our Thanksgiving meal.  It was very strange not being with family, and it was overwhelming as well.  For some reason I was terrified that I would manage to screw up our food.  Thankfully, everything turned out wonderfully.  Even Cappy loved the turkey!  My stuffing/dressing was almost as good as my mom's.  The only thing that was missing were the sweet potatoes, which I could have made, but it wouldn't be the same.  Chad even watched Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs and the dog show with me! :-)  I still miss my family back home, but we made it work.

Tomorrow we will officially "close out" the apartment.  It will be nice to have it all over with.  Unfortunately, Chad has to work for awhile tomorrow so I will be sitting at home alone for awhile.  I have zero desire to go anywhere shopping, though I may do some shopping online.  Hopefully, he will get the garage and office organized this weekend and we can set up our Christmas tree.  Next week we have a Christmas dinner for his work, and the following week I have a volunteer Christmas lunch, my 30th birthday (holy hell!) and we will be having a party here at the house - I may make it an ugly Christmas shirt party.  We shall see!  It will be nice to be able to entertain in our own home again.

That's pretty much it for today, I'm quickly becoming a football widow so I think I will try to finish my book and take a nap - the food coma is beginning to set in.....

Happy Thanksgiving! Gobble 'til ya wobble!!!

Comments

Popular Posts