All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

I have so much on my mind right now I don't even know where to begin!
Yesterday we went to Ryland's Design Center to choose finishes for the house.  Since we had been there last week, we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted, and were hoping this would expedite the appointments.  We picked a creamy color granite with purple and black accents and a cherry color cabinets.  Our new kitchen is so much more open than the last one, and I think this color combination will really make our kitchen feel bigger than it is.    We went with mostly standard finishes on things that we could change ourselves in order to save us some money, plus they charge ridiculous amounts for some of the most basic things.  The kitchen was one place, however, that I couldn't accept the standard.  After having stainless appliances in our last house, which we loved, we decided to go with black - the stainless is just so difficult to keep clean.  (I can just imagine dog slobber constantly on the stainless appliances)  I am very excited about our FRENCH DOOR FRIDGE! :-)  Isn't it sad how the little things excite me?!
The standard bathroom fixtures are chrome and acrylic - I seriously didn't even know that they produced that anymore.  We went ahead with it, because it was included in the build price but will definitely be changing that out after we move in.  Chad said I had quite the look of disgust on my face when they showed that to us.  We also asked what the coach light by the garage would look like and the lady told us it was bronze, but I had a gut feeling...it's brass - Hello 1995!  We did have the opportunity to upgrade to a "Texas Edition" front door, complete with a star in the middle of it but Chad declined.
We were frustrated at some points during this process, as we thought we understood everything that was considered STANDARD, but we apparently did not.  For example, our upstairs bonus/media room doesn't come with cable outlets.  Hmmm....There's another $185.  We were told that the secondary bathrooms had white cabinets, and apparently they have this maple color that is similar in color to cat puke.  To change those to white it was almost $300 per bathroom, equaling $600...so, cat puke cabinets it is for us.  Good thing is that we can always stain them later.  It was just somewhat annoying, as you can imagine.  We requested the configuration of the washer and dryer be switched (don't most people work left to right and not the other way around?) and they wanted to charge us $100 to make that change.  That's a simple change that doesn't cost them any money, so why should we pay for it?  We left it alone and decided to work with it. 
While we were at the Design Center we received a phone call saying that my license plates were in so I attempted to find the dealership to pick them up.  Let's just say that I got lost somewhere I didn't want to get lost, so I didn't pick them up after all. It only took an hour and a half, but I finally found my way home without making any phone calls or using my GPS.
Today, I had my Pre-op assessment at Memorial Hermann-Sugar Land Hospital.  Let me tell you, this hospital is unlike anything I've seen.  It definitely doesn't feel anything like a hospital, which was kind of nice.  Hopefully after Nursing School I can get a job there, especially since it's about 15 minutes from our new house.  I did all the pre-registering and was taken upstairs.  It was a very strange situation because they did all the stuff that is usually done right before surgery back home.  There was a foreign nurse asking me all the medication questions, and she couldn't even spell the medications properly!  She was very nice though, and did an excellent job at drawing my blood. (After the last set of lab work I have become a little weary of needles - I swear the lady was trying to stab me!)  I'm kind of grumpy, though, because they told me I had to wear a damned hospital ID bracelet all flipping weekend.  When she was putting it on, I asked if she could leave it loose (so that I could slip it over my hand and not wear it), but she was afraid that it would fall off and I would lose it.  UGH!  So, I'm walking around with an ugly red ID bracelet on my right wrist.  And, it itches!   It's going to be a LONG weekend and I'm sure as hell not going anywhere with it on.
I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous about the surgery.  It was so much different back home, where I knew so many people.  Here, the only person I know who will be touching me is Dr. Heaps.  And then after we get home, Chad has to figure out how to get me upstairs and to the bed.  LOL.  (Before he gets my pain pills and my Little Caesars Pizza!)
I've been reading a lot lately, averaging a book per day.  Our wedding photo albums arrived, so I've been looking at those.  I've also been doing some online shopping for our little Cap'n Buster who will come home towards the end of the month!  We cannot wait for him to join our family!

Comments

Popular Posts