Finding Cap'n America

Yesterday was definitely not what we had anticipated.  We were out running errands, anxiously awaiting Chris's phone call so that we could pick up our sweet little dog.  We were at Lowe's when I received the phone call.  I could hardly hear her, and when I did it was, "they lost him, Diana, they fucking lost our dog."
I'm not going to lie, I thought it was a joke, although I should have known that Chris wouldn't stoop that low.  I lost it, right there in the middle of Lowe's. 
Apparently, they somehow lost him when they took him out to potty.  If you ask me, this is gross negligence.  How does a dog, who is supposed to be on a leash at all times, run off?!  Nobody could get a straight answer as to when or how he escaped.  Chad & I got in the car and headed to Stafford Oaks Veterinary Hospital to start searching for him.  Unfortunately, we didn't know where to even look.  They had been reports that somebody had seen a stray dog out running by a field, but we didn't know where the field was.  Eventually, most of the staff showed up to help locate him.  After numerous accounts of tresspassing, three bottles of water, searching a Buddhist Temple and two VERY HOT hours (among other things that shall remain unmentioned), we surrendered.
We were certain it was a lost cause. However, we were almost certain that because Chris wasn't notified immediately of his disappearance that somebody had stolen him.  It all seemed too fishy, if you ask me. 
Around 6pm I was at the pool, on the phone with my parents when I got a text message from Chris...there had been a sighting!  She called his name, but he ran off, scared.  They set some traps, complete with chicken, hoping that he would get into one of them and they chased him all over Stafford.  Right before Chris left the scene, he was about to dart across Dulles, a very busy road in Stafford. 
About five minutes after that, he apparently came back to the vet clinic and was successfully trapped.  I received the call around 8:30 last night...she was so quiet.  "I, I got him! He's in my lap."  I squealed with delight, the nightmare was over.  We finally got him home around 11 last night.
The biggest problem I have is have is how this ever happened in the first place.  I really think they need to be held accountable for their actions.  There was no reason that this ever should have happened.  The worst part about it is that he had been missing since Thursday!  I certainly hope that the person on duty that day will be terminated.  I am going to write a letter to the owner and the doctors at the clinic, raising the question of how this happened. 
After this fiasco, we decided to get him micro-chipped which I will do once we get back to Illinois - he will also be getting a full checkup by Dr. Mark, because I know I can trust them.

The first night went well, though I caved.  Our room was designated a "dog free zone" for Willie, however, Cap'n was not liking his crate and was crying so much.  We felt so bad that we said, "hell with it" and let him sleep in our room with us.  He is definitely a very good dog.  He stood guarding us from the air conditioner and William.  Although standoff-ish, William is not as afraid as he was.

Comments

Popular Posts