Extreme Birth Story: Twin Edition

Attention: This story is not, in any way, meant to scare you.  It's merely a retelling of events that happened on Friday, November 13th, 2015.  Just because this is MY story, doesn't mean that YOUR story will be similar.

2:30am

I woke up out of a dead sleep, yelling "fuck!"  Chad woke up, worried about what it was all about. I started having painful contractions that were consistent, and they started worsening over time.  At one point I was contracting every 2-3 minutes and the contractions were about a minute in duration.  I definitely wasn't feeling well. Around 445-isn I finally convinced Chad that I wasn't just being a drama queen - he got up for his "shit and shower" and promised me he'd take me to the hospital as soon as he was done.

5:30am

We grab Charleigh out of a dead sleep, load her into the truck and head to the hospital.  My contractions are worsening at a rapid pace.  At one point I felt like I was going to pull the "oh shit" bar off of the truck.

6:00am

We are at the hospital.  Chad insists upon me using a wheelchair.  Dammit!  That means I have another contraction in the truck.  The ER wheels me up to 3rd floor and they get me into a room.  Room 311, to be exact...a monitoring room.  I go to pee in a cup and attempt to get dressed, all while contracting.  Not a pleasant experience.  The nurse tells me she needs to check me, I told her I needed a bucket because I felt like I was going to barf.  Once the contraction stopped, she checked me.  "Well, you're 9.5 cm dilated and your water is tight."  
Things started spinning and I started panicking.  Everything was happening so fast.  "But I want Dr Heaps," I yell in between the contractions.  Anesthesia comes in.  They don't know if they can give me a spinal for my c section that I need to have due to Baby B's presentation. My small room is full of people, Chad and Charleigh are in the hallway.  Chad texts Crista asking if she can come NOW.

6:30am

Consents have been signed.  I'm screaming, trying to break the bed.  Obscenities are flying out of my mouth left and right.  They start wheeling me down to the OR.  The poor women in the rooms down the hallway were listening to me scream and curse.  Dr Heaps is there, assuring me it's going to be ok.  
The nurses are telling me to squeeze my legs together so babies don't fall out.

6:47am

I'm in the OR.  They try to have me move beds. Yikes.  They decide to try a spinal epidural, but I can't curl up like needed.  The room is filled with nurses, and they all come together to help me get in position.  The numbing medicine goes in - I have a contraction and immediately tense up. Dr Heaps comes over and gives me his hand to hold and rubs my face and head, calming me down.  The familiar face helped.  There are three anesthesiologist in there with me - one is yelling for a blood pressure cuff.  They get the spinal going and position me for the procedure.  I tell the nurses I'm not sure if my husband will be in the room due to Charleigh.  They assure me that they have it all figured out.  Everything is numb, all is well again.  They start surgery.

7:01am

Crista arrives with her girls and grabs Charleigh from Chad so he can run back to the OR.  When he gets there I can tell he's been crying.  His face is red, glasses are cloudy.  I ask if he's ok.  He says, "I'm sorry," and takes a picture of me.


7:06am

"here's your baby girl!" Dr heaps yells.  I feel some relief.  Some emptiness.  They push and push to get Baby B out.

7:08am

"And here's your boy!"  The room is quiet.  No babies are crying,  they are in respiratory distress.  I start to feel nauseous and they give me a barf bag and the doctor has me inhale an alcohol swab slowly, which helps a ton.  They bring Coleson to us to see briefly,  as both are in respiratory distress and need oxygen.

Fast Forward:

After this, time was a blur. I was closed up and wheeled to my room.  I remember Crista being their and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was on, Charleigh was mesmerized. I thanked her and she went on her way.  Dr heaps came in and said everything went well. I strangely remember him telling me was leaving to visit his in laws this weekend, so he was leaving me.  



To be continued...

Comments

  1. Reading this brought back some memories for me, as Luke was also in distress when he was born--I had that same silence--they held him up over the curtain once they pulled him out and then whisked him right away. Scariest night of my life. So glad your babies are ok.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts