Scare 3.0

Now that I have two hospital admissions under my belt this pregnancy, I feel like I'm ready to go! 😂

Tuesday morning was nothing more than unremarkable.  The three of us got up, headed to my very uneventful OB appointment, and went home.  My OB appointment went better than it did the week before - I gained a bit of weight back, my blood pressure was perfect, and babies both looked good.  I told my doctor I was feeling icky, but may not have fully explained how icky I really felt...oops!  We discussed the plan of action - continue with weekly appointments and schedule the c section for Black Friday.  He did tell me, though, that Black Friday wasn't a promise - that if I was feeling really good he would wait until the following week, when I am closer to 37 weeks.  Obviously, we left feeling great about everything.

After we got home, Chad returned to work and Charleigh and I took a nap.  Around 1, I started feeling really icky, mainly wth cramping and pressure.  Meh, no big deal, that's to be expected.  I sat around on the couch while Charleigh played and watched television.  It hit me around 4-ish.  My head started throbbing, I was lightheaded/dizzy, and felt nauseated.  I was actually afraid to get up, worried that I may pass out.   I texted Chad.

Once I felt a little bit better I got up to grab my blood pressure cuff and glucometer.  My blood pressure was high, and my blood sugar was low.  I started snacking on some sugary cereal and texted Chad back.  We decided I'd better call the doctor, so I did.  Unfortunately, all three of the ob's were in a conference at the med center so the nurse said she'd text him to see what he said.  A few short minutes later I got the call, "go to L&D."   I called Chad to have him come home, and made sure I had diapers/wipes and a few snacks for Charleigh.  Here we go again...

I was one hundred percent positive I'd be discharged after a half hour, but I was still panicking.  The drive there I started having consistent contractions, which didn't help my anxiety.  We got to the unit where I got in my room, peed in the cup and changed into my super sexy gown.  I was hooked up to monitors, and (of course) my blood pressure had dropped already.  Typical...

I was definitely contracting regularly, and I was definitely uncomfortable.  For the most part, both babies heart rates looked really good, though Coleson was a bit wonky at time.  The nurse came in to check me and swab to make sure I wasn't leaking fluid.  I was dilated to 2cm, stretchable to 3cm, and the nurse could touch Campbelle's head.  She swabbed me and the contractions started getting even more intense.  It was getting difficult to breathe through them.  She called my OB and came back to give me the news...

I was stuck there for at least another hour - he wanted an hour of blood pressure readings and to load me up with fluids.  Joy.  After the first fifteen minutes of iv fluids, my blood pressure steadily got better and I was getting more comfortable.  The charge nurse came in and told me that it still was up in the air as to whether I'd stay or go, that didn't make me a happy camper.  Then, the contractions stopped! I started feeling much better.  They came in and kicked me to the curb.  Yes!!!

I didn't realize how close I was to being admitted for awhile, and potentially having these babies.  When I was being discharged, the nurse told me.  I instantly felt guilty for breaking down the night before and talking about how over this pregnancy I was. 

 Never in my life had I been so excited to return to this god-forsaken apartment.  The three of us. We're utterly exhausted.  It was at least two hours past Charleigh's bedtime.  We all went to bed, and I can honestly say that I felt better than I had in a week or so.  I slept like a log, better than I had slept in quite awhile.  I was actually comfortable, with the exception of needing to pee every hour or so.

On the drive home, Chad revoked ALL of my privileges.  No more Target runs, no more cooking, no more laundry.  I was to be a bum, and Chad would take care of everything on the weekends.  He didn't want me bathing unless he was here to help me.

Do you think I listened to him?  Nope, sure didn't.  The next morning I ran to pick up breakfast, and while eating breakfast I decided to look over my discharge papers.  Oops!  Complete bedrest.  So, I stopped doing things and took a nap.  (Charleigh was still exhausted too, thankfully). I set up the living room with everything I needed (with the exception of a toilet, for obvious reasons).  I spent all waking hours on the couch, watching Disney junior with Charleigh, without any contractions.  Hooray!

I had my first contraction in almost 24 hours while bathing last night.  I didn't sleep well because, once again, it was physically impossible to get comfortable.  

The moral of this story is that shit can change quickly in OB.  Listen to your body. Call your doctor when something doesn't feel right, even if you feel like a complete moron.  Better safe than sorry - especially when there are multiple lives involved.


Comments

Popular Posts