Thankful

Although I posted earlier on lessons that Chad & I learned on our vacation to Disney World, I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you.

I know that I've said it before, but I am going to say it again - I am so blessed to have a "job" (where I work for free) doing something that I absolutely love. 

There are bad days and there are good days.  There are patients who don't want any "help" and there are others that just want somebody to talk to.  There are also patients who feel like giving up.  That is probably the most difficult part of my job - the patients who have given up hope, who stare at the ceiling and are depressed.  Are they afraid of dying?  Are they ready to die?  Or, are they just screaming for help?  It's difficult to say, but the pain of being unable to help somebody never goes away.  It is never easy.

Sometimes you become emotionally attached to a patient.  There are also some patients that you dread seeing.  More often than not my patients are thankful, but upon occasion you deal with the bitterness, hatred and anger that they have within them.

I wish I could help everybody, but I know that is impossible.  There are some people who just don't want to be helped.  You can only help those who want to be helped, who want to get better and who want to beat the odds.  I've been fortunate that I've met some wonderful people (patients, family & caregivers) who are dedicated to the fight.

Today I was asked to visit a patient who was depressed, but it seemed like this patient didn't want to be helped.  It made me feel useless, though I know that I gave it my all.  It makes me sad, because I "work" at a facility that truly cares about their patients.  We give our patients everything we can.  That's not to say we don't have patients we are unable to help and sometimes we exhaust all of our options.  It breaks my heart to see people give up - life is worth fighting for. 

I have become a better person because of the opportunities given to me.  There are times when God gives you more than you think you can handle, but there's a reason - He knows that you can survive.  He wants you to become stronger and help others.  That's what being a good person is about.

Is it bad that I bring "work" home with me?  It can be - I worry about patients awaiting transplants or major surgery.  There are times when I wonder if I'm too emotional for what I'm doing, but I know that is probably what makes me damn good at what I do.  There is no greater reward than seeing a patient discharged - especially when they come back to visit or thank you for all you have given them.  I was blessed with such an opportunity today - I ran into the husband of a patient who gave me a huge hug and thanked me for the work that I did.  That's why I love my "job."  I make a difference.

I have met some of the most dedicated, caring people in the last month and I consider it an honor to be part of their "team."  I have my own "family" at the hospital, and I know that if I needed anything at all they would be right there for me. 

If I had one wish, it would be for people to see the big picture.  Be thankful for the present.  Tell people that you love them.  Remember that there is always somebody who is worse off than you.  And, try not to think about the grass being greener on the other side.  Live every day to the fullest, and let others know how much you mean to them.

Obviously, today was a difficult one for me, because I can't help everybody.  But I know just how much I mean to those who will let me help them, and to me that is what life is all about.

Comments

Popular Posts