The Truth About Being a Mommy

It's hard to believe that we've now been home for two weeks.  Seems like just yesterday I was pregnant and anxiously awaiting her arrival.
Having a newborn has definitely been an adjustment - our life no longer revolves around us.  Nobody cares if you're exhausted, grumpy, sick or have housework to do.  You shower while she's sleeping and attempt to poop when she's quiet. Life revolves around her - eat, sleep and poop.  You learn that regardless of how patient you thought you were, you can never have enough patience.  You treasure grocery shopping or going to the pediatrician because you get to interact with adults.
Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade Charleigh for anything, but being a mommy is hard work!  Just yesterday Chad and I went up to Center Court to visit for awhile.  One of the girls was talking about her dream job being a stay at home mommy because you got to play with your baby all day long.  There is some truth to that, but it's the most demanding job in the world and much more stressful than you could ever imagine...
I'm really trying to be a good housewife & mommy, but it's difficult. My kitchen is a disaster, I have laundry (clean, of course) in piles in our bedroom that need to be put away, my floors need vacuumed, and I have more dirty laundry and dishes than I ever thought imaginable. Throw in a screaming, colicky baby and you have a recipe for disaster.
There are days I just want to pull every last hair on my head out.  Some days I just want to cry or beat my head repeatedly against the wall.  All I want is a happy baby, and when I can't have a content baby or don't know what it is that she's screaming about I feel like a complete failure.
For Me, the most difficult part is the lack of sleep. Those of you who know me well know that I'm not a pleasant person if I don't get enough sleep.  Everybody says, "sleep when she sleeps."  Much easier said than done, my friends.  (Especially When your pediatrician says to not let her sleep longer than an hour and a half during the day - it takes me that long to fall asleep!). While I may get to bed early (9-ish, for example) I'm back up at 11-ish when she starts screaming, and there are nights she will scream for three hours straight. By the time I get her to sleep and start to doze off she's up again.  Sigh...
Chad's work schedule doesn't allow for much help from him, so I'm left to fend for myself six nights a week.  I am beyond grateful for Saturday nights when he has baby duty and I get to sleep all night long.  Of course it seems that whenever Chad has baby duty Charleigh sleeps practically all night.  Story. Of. My. Life.
In all honesty though, being a Mommy is the most rewarding thing I've ever done.  There are many times I miss the life we use to have, but I wouldn't trade thus for the world.  I may be grumpy due to lack of sleep, but I'm truly happier than I've ever been. (And I don't think that's just me talking.). Just looking at her makes me smile (unless she's being a holy terror), and it amazes me that Chad and I (with the help of modern medicine) created this little person.  I cannot wait to do it again...

Comments

Popular Posts