Oh the Suspense!!!

On Wednesday I went for my weekly OB appointment only to be greeted with, "how'd you like to have a baby on Friday?!"  Uh, excuse me?!  I thought we had a plan!!!  Honestly, I thought he was joking, but I was wrong.  He said that depending on what was said at my high-risk appointment, he may induce me sooner.  And, Friday was as good a day as any, especially since he would be on call all weekend long.  He did say my blood pressure was MUCH better than it had been the week before, which was a good sign, but he wouldn't comment much more. (Other than to say that the latest he'd induce is the 20th)  As he left the room he said, "Ill either see you on Friday or Wednesday!"  Scary stuff...
I called Chad to update him of the situation, and he was definitely caught off guard.  He went to talk to his bosses about this, because he originally hadn't planned on going to the high risk appointment.  Now, however, he felt he should be there - just in case...
Next up was a phone call to my mom.  She had been planning on booking her flight after we had scheduled the date, but that was blown to hell.  She already had to beg Southwest to change her flight at no additional cost once, and she didn't want to do it again.  We decided that we would wait until Friday's appointment to figure out what needed to be done.
I went home freaking the you-know-what out.  (From here on called FTFO). We had so much to do, and potentially so little time to do it. Ugh!!!  The car seat wasn't installed, our new dresser wasn't in, the guest room wasn't ready for company, we hadn't purchased a stroller, and (most importantly) I'd not had a pedicure.  I tried getting stuff done, but it's far too much for me to do alone.  Hell, the dresser wasn't even in yet so I didn't want to put clothes away only to redo it all.
Fast forward to today (Friday)...
We packed everything up, threw the awkward car seat box in the truck and went to my appointment.  I was determined to have my cup of coffee and breakfast this morning just in case we were in for a long day.  (Last thing y'all want is a hungry Diana!). The appointment went seemingly well, but of course I found something to worry about.  Dr Gei came in and looked at her some more and gave us some good news - although she is small (roughly 4.5 pounds) she is VERY strong.  (And that she still has a long, flowing mullet!). That being said, in his point of view, she could stay put for awhile!  But, he recommended induction within 7-10 days.  He also strongly encouraged me to stay on modified/light bed rest, as he could see a huge difference in her health/strength in the last week.  Of course, all of this is based on her alone, not me.  Ultimately, it's my OB's decision, though.
A very disappointed husband drove me home and had me call my OB to follow up.  Last thing we want is for me to go to my appointments on Wednesday and they tell me that I'm staying - all while he is over an hour away,  also, we really don't want a Friday induction since my OB isn't on call that weekend.  We are so demanding, aren't we?!
At this point I'm just relaxing (or attempting to - since I have a psychotic dog barking nonstop at the gardeners) and waiting for a call from my OB with a game plan.  I know my mom is going crazy because she doesn't know what is going on and is anxious to book her flight.  I'm somewhat relieved because the dresser has finally arrived (hopefully not damaged) and we have some time to clean out the guest room and install the car seat.  Little things like that make me feel much more prepared. :-)
One last thing - for the record...
I am overwhelmed by all the well wishes from friends and former patients.  It truly brings tears to my eyes.  We are definitely very lucky people and I know that Charleigh is very loved.
 One thing I need to get off of my chest, and it's not just for me - it's for other people going through similar things...
I know you have our best interests in mind when you tell us to let her cook longer and not be in a hurry to get her out.  But each pregnancy brings unique circumstances that only the woman and her physicians know. Although we may try to keep you abreast of the latest, it's not always possible.  Sometimes the doctor has additional concerns that he may not disclose to the patient for various reasons.  We must have Faith that those who are treating us have nothing but our best interests in mind.  Every person is an individual, and should be treated as such.  And, every case is different. Try not to be judgemental of the physician or the patient.  If there is ONE thing I took from my two and a half years at Methodist it's the ICARE values. (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence). Respecting the physician who makes these tough decisions and the patients that sometimes don't have much say in the matter! :-)
**The above mentioned situation is nothing more than a generalized statement and is not meant towards anybody in particular.  I know of others who are going through similar situations and I know how stressed out these comments can make you feel.  So, from all of us trying to make the best decision for us - THANK YOU!**

Comments

Popular Posts