Deep in the heart of Texas!

Bright and early on Friday morning, we packed the car up and headed to San Antonio, Texas to pick up Chad's parents at the airport and enjoy a quiet weekend.  HA!  On our way out of Houston, we got stuck in a traffic jam and I fell asleep...until we were 30 miles outside of Houston proper, when Chad decided that it was time to wake me up.  ARGH!!!!  I was so annoyed.
The drive itself wasn't too bad, and about halfway between Houston & San Antonio there was a HUGE Buc-ee's! (That alone made the trip worthwhile!)  We got to the airport just as the plane was landing, and were on our way to our hotel quickly.  Once we got to the hotel, things got interesting...
There was an "Army Man" aka: GI Joe in the lobby when we arrived.  There was a needlepoint convention, and he stood there and talked to the little old ladies.  (Of course, I thought this was super cute.)  Within three minutes, Cindy and I learned a lot about GI Joe - he has a fiancee, but he was wearing a wedding ring...he also worked at the Pentagon. (Or so he claimed.)  Chad and Rick were checking in, and GI Joe butted into the conversation - Cindy and I just stood back and watched all of the action. 
We waited up in the first room for our second room to be ready, and once it was he headed down to The Riverwalk.  We stopped at a Mexican joint for appetizers and margaritas before heading back to the pool.  The sun was absolutely brutal on Friday, so Chad & I went back to the room while Rick & Cindy enjoyed the pool.  We took a much-needed hour-long nap before getting ready for dinner.  It was a bit annoying to figure out which restaurant to eat at for dinner, but we settled on The County Line, a BBQ joint where I enjoyed a steak and some of the most amazing mashed potatoes I had ever had in my life.  Cindy kept trying to say something, but it took me awhile to catch on - GI Joe was sitting at the table next to us, wearing a Larry the Cable Guy cut off flannel shirt.  Ugh!  Cindy made a comment about something smelling delicious, and GI Joe turned to us and said, "Well, thank you!"  Double Ugh!  Eventually, Chad started telling his parents about Cappy's habits of stealing clothing, and GI Joe, once again, butted into the conversation.  All I can say is wow.  Once we got back to the room, we relaxed on the terrace for awhile before heading to bed.
Yesterday we all slept in and then headed to The Alamo.  In my opinion, it was over-rated, but I suppose if you are a history buff you would really enjoy it.  Chad and I didn't enjoy it too terribly much, although there were some interesting parts.  (All I could think of was the movie "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" during the entire tour.)  After we finished, we went to Hotel Menger, which is over 100 years old - Cindy and I were both ready to hurl, as it smelled like urine.  ICKY!  We walked through the city to get back to The Riverwalk so that we could take the boat tour.  On our way back, Chad and I walked over a grate - and my sundress flew straight up in the air, providing San Antonio a free (and complete) show of my blue granny panties.  (I'm sure they were sweaty, too.)  I laughed so hard I was crying. The ladies behind us were laughing hysterically as well, but Rick & Cindy missed the show.  When we told them what happened, Cindy asked, "Were you wearing underwear?" LMAO!
We went on the boat tour, which was  cool but made us think of Jungle Cruise at Disney World.  Chad, Rick & Cindy wanted to go to Tower of the Americas, and I had absolutely zero desire to do so, so I grabbed a bite to eat at the food court and headed back to our room to read.  After they got back we took two hour naps and then got ready for dinner at Luciano's.  Prices were very fair and the food was delicious!  We headed back to the room after dinner and some DQ and went to bed shortly after.
This morning we got back on the road and headed back to Houston.  After a pit stop at Buc-ee's, we finally made it home around 2pm or so.  Chad took his parents to the new house while I headed to the store to pick up some basics.  We had a delicious dinner of steaks, risotto and corn before relaxing for the evening.  William has yet to come out and visit me yet, which is a bit disappointing. :-(
Tomorrow we will be heading to Kemah, and I'm hoping to get the opportunity to stop by a bookstore at some point in the day as I have finished all the books that I own.  This week I plan on taking Rick & Cindy to the outlet mall, going to see "The Help", and getting pedicures with Cindy.
I am looking forward to this week and hope that the temperatures hold out for us!

Comments

Popular Posts