What a Wonderful Wednesday!

Yesterday was an amazing day, and I cannot even begin to explain how awesome it was.  So many things great things happened and I could not stop smiling all night.

The morning started off with me being stuck in traffic, as there was an accident on 288 at the exact same place as it was on Monday.  Traffic in the Medical Center was much better than it was on Monday, but I did have some idiot pull a u-turn in front of me from the right lane.  Ugh...  Oh, I also saw somebody peeing in front of Ben Taub (the County Hospital) and a teen running across the street while his shorts honestly fell to his ankles - he didn't stop and kept on running.  Wow!


I had every intention in the world of leaving around 1pm as scheduled, especially since we were going to go to the Cardinals/Astros game that evening.  I might have a bit of an over-achiever gene though, because I didn't leave the hospital until 2:30pm.  It's okay though, because I met some really awesome people and felt like I really made a difference.  I also visited some of my patients from Monday who were still admitted and had some good laughs with one of those patients.  She says some of the funniest things and, once again, we both laughed so hard we cried.  I really believe that laughter is the best medicine.  It still amazes me that you can be so seriously ill and have such a great perspective on life.  I'm sure that is why she's doing so well with treatments.  I promised her that I would have a hot dog for her at the baseball game so I took a picture of it - that way I'll always remember her!
My celebration hot dog.

I met an amazing young woman and her husband yesterday, too.  She is so incredibly lucky - she found out she had cancer and needed to start chemo, so her fiance (now hubby) organized a wedding in three days.  They got married at the hospital she was at for treatment, and had her first chemo treatment after the wedding.  It was a beautiful story, and they are beautiful people.  They are so in love and he never leaves her side.  I always thought that I was lucky - I have an amazing husband and had the wedding of my dreams, but this story was so much more.  I completely appreciate everything that I have in Chad and the fact that I was able to have such a special wedding...but this definitely tops it.  She is such a lucky woman, and it made me think....I truly believe that Chad would do the same thing if put in that situation.  Such an amazing story...

The baseball game was a lot of fun.  It was really nice to do something different and go on a "date."  We got to the stadium early and decided to walk around during batting practice.  We stopped to watch Albert Pujols hit and a ball came directly at us.  Chad bare-handed it and almost had it, if he hadn't had the beer in his hand it would have been ours.  He should have dropped the damn beer, because I don't know how he thought he could catch it with one hand.  Some hippie behind us (thankfully a Cardinals fan) caught it and Chad had a numb hand for most of the night.  Guess it's a good thing he had that ice cold beer to help ease the pain.  Sigh...
Right after Pujols nearly broke Chad's hand.  Next time, honey, DROP THE BEER!

Chad got up to go to the bathroom right before the "kiss cam" and came back to see me smiling, clapping and in tears.  A lady saw she was on the "kiss cam" and got so excited, just after she realized she was on there the screen said, "Christina, will you marry me?"  Oh my God! The guy got down on one knee and proposed - she cried, I cried...it was beautiful.  I know I would have been absolutely humiliated had Chad proposed like that, but I definitely think it was special. 
Just having fun...Go Cardinals! :-)


We got home to a very sad puppy dog.  Poor guy only got to spend an hour or two with me yesterday, because we were gone all day long.  Between me at the hospital working and then going to the baseball game, he spent most of the day in his crate.  It broke my heart to see how sad he was. :-(

It was just a great day yesterday, and I will always remember it.  So many exciting things happened, and I really feel like I'm so much closer to getting a job.  It's great to find a place that you belong, where you fit in and feel complete at the end of the day.  I'm not saying that Chad doesn't make me feel complete, but I feel like all the pieces of the puzzle fit together perfectly when I'm working.  I am truly grateful for this opportunity.  <3

Comments

Popular Posts