The Streak is Gone

I think I jinxed it.  Just yesterday I was bragging about how it had been nearly two weeks since we'd needed to take Charleigh to the pediatrician.  You know what they say, right?

"Nobody likes a braggar."

Lesson learned.

It all started yesterday morning.  We were at Chickfila with my friend Crista and her daughter Evie.  About 30-45 minutes after finishing her bottle (called Bah from here on out) she spit up about a teaspoonful of clear, yellowy liquid.  I didn't think much of it, as we know she has reflux.  Yes, it smelled acidic but I didn't think it was cause for concern at that point.  Afterall, it's called acid reflux for a reason.  

We went to Auntie A's after our Chickfila outing, and since we were taking more pictures Charleigh got another Bah.  This time she only got an ounce to get her through the pictures, but got the other three ounces at her regularly scheduled feeding time.  After we got home and settled in (again, about 30 minutes after her feed) she spit up that same clear, yellowy liquid.  Sigh...

Now my gut told me that I needed to call the doctor.  Once was a fluke, but twice in a row was surely something more.  Her belly wasn't hard, nor did she appear to be in pain when I palpated it. Of course, I didn't want to to be that overly paranoid mom so I procrastinated a bit and called Chad to get his expert opinion.  After discussing this with him, I called the nurse who had wanted me to take her to Texas Children's Hospital ER. (It was 3:30 by this time). Thankfully the NP had a no-show, so they told me to rush over and they'd get her in.

I threw clothes on and sped to their office.  When I got there I found out they'd not yet put me on the schedule.  Just my luck.  The receptionist went back to talk to the nurse to find out what was going on, etc.  Apparently Charleigh was going to see the NP, but after the nurse told Dr Bishop what was going on he wanted to see her himself.  Unfortunately he was running an hour behind.  I understood and was appreciative of his concern so I sat in the well baby waiting room patiently.  (Side note: while I was sitting there they had a kiddo with a high fever come in and a kiddo who puked all over the main waiting room.  Ugh). I was in well baby waiting for about 10 minutes when his nurse came to get me.  She went ahead and got Charleigh's vitals and put us in an extra exam room so that Charlrigh wasn't exposed to all of those icky germs.  We patiently waited for Dr Bishop.  

When he came in he palpated her belly and said he didn't feel a blockage, which was good.  He did point out, however, that he isn't a surgeon.  Although he wanted to send her to the hospital for an ultrasound, he didn't want to expose her to all of the germs there, so we had a discussion on what to do.  

We decided, for the time being, to wait and see if it continues.  If it continues or her belly is hard and distended I'm to call back immediately so he can send us to the hospital for testing.  

So, what does this all mean?  They're concerned that she may have pyloric stenosis, which can be serious if left untreated.  The treatment for pyloric stenosis is a little surgery which would require an overnight stay at the hospital.  At this point, we are obviously hoping that it's just her reflux.  

Also a bit concerning was that Charleigh hasn't gained an ounce since her appointment two weeks ago.  Dr Bishop said that at this point he want going to be concerned about it, because she's not lost weight.  However, if she doesn't gain weight (or loses weight) by her two month appointment in two weeks we will be concerned.  This poor baby can't catch a break.

So, that's the update on Charleigh's health.  It's nerve-wracking for Chad and I, but I know it will all work out.  I was originally concerned that it would cancel my trip to Illinois (selfish, I know), but Dr Bishop said that he wouldn't let that happen.  And, thankfully, we have a wonderful pediatrician in Illinois who has agreed to see Charleigh if we have any problems while we are there. (Thank you Dr Bowers, you're the best!) The worst case scenario is that she has more problems while we are there and she needs surgery - it's not like there aren't any good doctors back home.  Whatever is thrown at us we can manage.  

Although I'm not a hugely religious person, I do ask that, if you're the praying type, you keep Charleigh in your prayers. Hopefully yesterday was a fluke and we don't have any more problems.  While reflux can be a hard pill to swallow, I'll gladly take it over the alternative.  

We'd like to thank our friends and family for their concern.  We are not only blessed with a beautiful little princess, but with amazing friends. 


Comments

  1. Freida Luster-BarregaryeJuly 2, 2014 at 7:37 AM

    I will be praying for Charleigh June. I know you're worried!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts