Confusion

Today wasn't the best of days, to say the least.  We woke up early since I had an appointment with the high-risk doctor and headed to the hospital.  The lady who did my Ultrasound was nice enough, but not near as nice as the lady we had last time.  I could tell something was different the way she was lingering over certain areas.  Well, that and the fact that her smile changed to a look of concern.  After the Ultrasound was over, she started inputting data into the computer system and Chad left the room for a bit.  It was at this time that somebody else came in the room, whispered something to her, and she proceeded to point to the screen.
I started freaking out.  I knew...
When Chad came back, and she left the room I voiced my concerns to him.  He was concerned as well. A few minutes later she returned, telling us that the doctor had an emergency surgery in the med center, and wouldn't be done until about 10am.  We were more than welcome to wait for him to return, or he could just call us.  This is when she told us that baby was still in the 30th percentile for growth (though she was a bit higher than last time), weighed in at approximately 3 pounds 8 ounces, but her abdomen was only measuring in the 10th percentile.
She said that I need to come in weekly for appointments that include a biophysical profile (BPP) and nonstress test (NST) for monitoring.  They scheduled me out through mid-May and sent us on our way.  I was more than a little stressed, and didn't say much on the drive home.
Since I was waiting for the doctor to call, I took a nap and tried not to stress out.  When I hadn't heard from the doctor by the time Chad left work, I decided my moping around was over and headed up to meet him at Center Court.  It was nice to spend time with our friends and relax, and we stayed until around 7.
When we got home there was a message from the doctor.  He apologized profusely for missing us this morning and said that while baby is still small, she's grown in the last three weeks.  He then stated that even though her abdomen is small, since she grew, he's no longer considering her growth restricted.  (Obviously, the complete opposite of what we were told this morning.). He said that he wants to see me back in three weeks for another US.  He also said to keep doing the high-cal meals, frequent snacking, and resting.
Are you as confused as I am?  Neither Chad nor I know what to think right now.  Does she have restricted growth or not?  Everything I read this afternoon said that if the abdomen is below the 15th percentile, she's growth restricted.  I know, I know...the internet isn't always your friend.
I guess I will call him on Monday, as I have multiple questions for him (or I could just wait for my appointment with him on Friday.  I definitely want to speak with my OB about this too.

Comments

Popular Posts